Friday, July 3, 2009

Uhaul Size For Queen Bed

TRIBUTE TO THE VICTIMS OF THE HOLOCAUST

CLARIN Journal - July 3, 2009
CULTURE: TRIBUTE TO THE VICTIMS OF THE HOLOCAUST
Pictures and memories, in a sample of the horror in Poland
photographer Dani Yako visited the Polish town of his grandmother and the field where his family was murdered.
By Juan Carlos Anton
Source: SPECIAL CLARIN
Miran
serious camera and are stiff as starch their clothes. Is Poland in the twenties. Do not they know that a few years some of them would be killed in a concentration camp at the hands of the Nazis. The history of the image, tragically, is remembered now for one of his descendants, the photojournalist Dani Yako, who on Tuesday opened in Buenos Aires Holocaust Museum A trip to your sample. "I had always liked that picture, I had it on my bedside table. Were sent to the family was gone. It was like a postcard. The above is saved and the underdog, the little ones who remain, died . They were my grandfather, my grandmother and uncle. With my grandmother, who also appears there, you could not talk about it, "he says.

Yako-chief of Clarin-traveled photo with that image in 2007 to Telaki, the village where his grandmother took the picture and then made the three miles to Treblinka, the Nazi death camp where their relatives were killed. He put the family on a famous photo of the memorial stones that rises on the place and shot with his camera. Of course not so simple: "In theory, it is the easiest photo shows. It is not complicated but just could not do. My legs were trembling. Dusk. When I returned to the hotel, I was exhausted." So much so that night to see him in a restaurant, he was interrogated and almost stopped.

The moment reminded him of his own story: Yako was kidnapped in the dictatorship and was forced into exile. "The Jewish issue has never been so important or what is in my life. My parents and my family are communists, but there were a number of circumstances such as when I was kidnapped, beaten me twice because he was Jewish. Without doubt, has to do with my story and everything appeared very strong in Poland, "he said. Another photo

centerpiece of the exhibit is the portrait of Yako, who took in the Auschwitz concentration camp. "While taking pictures of the piles of shoes of victims, on the glass that separated me and saw my image reflected fired. The picture is achieved but with this show do not want something self-referential. I have my doubts about whether it is valid or not what I'm doing, because ultimately it is an aesthetic approach. I would not look like something related only to the Jewish people. The idea is to consider how human beings can get to that horror. It is a decision. They were highly educated people, "he says.

The exhibition is composed of nine black and white photos and is the first" abstract "Yako." There are people at the center of the image. I feel it is a tribute to the victims of the Holocaust and other persecutions. I see it as an instrument. Hopefully people can reflect, "he says.

After returning from Poland, the work was published in Viva in 2008, on the day of the liberation of Auschwitz." He went something strange, "recalls Yako. He joined the family a lot from these pictures. My mother sent them to the descendants of the picture in Israel. They felt that I had taken the photo for everyone. That was the idea. Everyone wanted to make this trip and it was my turn. "

0 comments:

Post a Comment